Thursday, September 07, 2006

New Games Order


One key to happiness – GAMES


I finally placed a new games order. I held off until we had played all of the ones we acquired in late 2005, and that took us a while. We certainly can’t be sitting around with no new, un-played games on the shelf!

I have listed my criteria for new game purchases on an earlier blog entry.

Thanks much to Mary, Susan, and Dave for the great suggestions for some excellent family games that they added to my blog. I looked at each of those suggested and narrowed my list to about 8 or 10 games to research on BoardGameGeek (BGG). I read reviews, session reports, info in GeekLists, and comments posted in Forum threads, and I reviewed comments and reviews posted in a wide variety of game blogs. Finally, I checked several online game sources to see what was available and the cost. The game highest on my list was To Court the King, a new U.S. release by Rio Grande Games of Um Krone und Kragen, but its availability has been delayed. Guess it will have to wait for a future order. I have bought games from several online businesses, but prefer to deal with Time Well Spent, since the business is located about an hour’s drive from my house. I can pick up the order with no shipping charges, and because I plan to be driving through Broomfield, Colorado, next week, the timing was perfect.

My final order consists of just four games, but I think the family will enjoy these. I only buy games playable by at least six people (and not party games). I have read about 6 Nimmt (Category 5) for several years, and finally decided to buy it. All seven of us should be able to enjoy this game. We all like card games, and it appears to play fairly quickly, with simple rules.

Hoity Toity seemed to be a game six of us could have fun with, so it’s in the order. This is the Uberplay, 2004, version for 3-6 players. Scott Nicholson’s video review of this game was a big help.

Elfenland sounded like a neat game that is in line with our enjoyment of Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Around the World in 80 Days, and Hacienda. I know all these games are very different, but there is a somewhat common flavor to them, in my mind. I believe Elfenland may have some of that flavor.

Finally, I chose a game that is really designed for 2 players, but can be played by more. In fact, this game will not be one that the family plays together, because I’m sure Sue and Katrina will have no interest in it. Memoir ’44 is in the order because so many people have recommended it so highly. I come from a wargaming background, so this should not be difficult to pick up. Dan and Joel are very much into HeroScape, and I think this game will be even easier to learn, easier to set up, and challenging enough for them. I expect they will borrow this game a lot, but I also want to play against them sometimes. Perhaps Mason (who likes Risk) will find this an interesting game, and we can play 2-on-2.

So, that’s my pending order. I’ll pick it up at Broomfield next week, and will be eager to play some new challenges. However, I think one or two of these will be put aside as gifts to me for my October birthday or for Christmas. Well, if we play the others soon, I will just have to create another game order before Christmas! I know I’ll be looking for To Court the King, and if the re-release of Ave Caesar is available, that probably will be included in my next order. I would also like to get Diamant, someday. Fun times!!

--- Gerald … near Denver, Colorado
aka gamesgrandpa -- A grandpa who is a mile high on gaming

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home